Monday, 9 June 2008

Inside the world of UK Muslim women

Finally, we speak for ourselves:

A major survey shows most want to marry their soulmates and enjoy high street fashion, while keeping a delicate balance with their Islamic values.

Nick Mathiason and Huma Qureshi
The Observer, Sunday June 1 2008

She wants to marry her soulmate, shops in Primark, TK Maxx and Topshop, and dreams of starting her own business. Meet the typical Muslim woman in Britain today.

A thousand women throughout the country have responded to the biggest lifestyle study of Muslim women undertaken in the UK. It appears to show that Muslim women have established a delicate balance between a desire to live a contemporary lifestyle and tap into consumer trends while sticking to values underpinning the Islamic guide to life.

The survey shows that 58 per cent of Muslim women do not think the racial background of a partner matters, although two-thirds believe it is very important for their man to be knowledgeable about Islam.

Success to 37 per cent of women means being a good Muslim, while 32 per cent say it is about combining work with family life, with 52 per cent wanting to run their own businesses.


Read the rest here.

4 comments:

sayma said...

wow!! wel that was cerainly some interesting facts!!!

Anonymous said...

Is it just me who is a bit sad/worried that 42% DO see their husband's racial background as important? That's not to say that those who replied are in any way racist, they may just have certain ideas about racial background, but I would have hoped that a far greater number would, as Muslims, be completely colourblind.

sayma said...

anon: yh i agree, i was actually wondering about that factor too.

Hayah said...

Anon and Sayma, what the survey actually said was that 58% don't think racial background matters at all. This doesn't mean that the other 42% think it's important, but just that it does matter to them, to some extent. Since the exact question is not specified, we can't assume how important racial background is to them.

Personally, I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone not to take racial background into consideration when getting married. This is after all, one of the most importan decisions you're going to make. Inter-cultural marriages are hard work, and not everyone is comfortable with them. It's not about racism, but human's tend to choose partners who are close to them in most aspects including race, socio-economic background, religion, etc.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails