Monday, 17 March 2008

Hijab Help

Some people have been asking about the 'plastic thing' which you insert in the front of your hijab to make the peak stay up. It is basically just a strip of clear, very thin and flexible plastic, with rounded edges, and the one I have measures 12.5” x 2.5”. It reaches roughly from the top of one ear to the other. I wouldn’t suggest you try to make one out of plastic at home, because the edges will be jagged and so they’ll snag on your scarf. You could try it with thin cardboard though, but make sure that a single layer of your scarf isn’t too transparent, because it will look a bit odd!

To use it with a square scarf, fold the scarf into a triangle, then slip the plastic strip in between the two layers, to the very edge of the fold. Or you can wait until you've got the scarf on your head to slip it in. Then you just pin underneath your chin as usual. You will need to adjust it, and it takes some getting used to, but it means you'll never have to suffer the 'droopy peak effect' with your scarf ever again!

If you have any hijab shops/market stalls near you, have a look there as they usually have them. In the Middle East they usually give it to you free with a purchase.

This is what a hijab looks like with the plastic strip inside:


Umm Salihah said...


Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing. I must be a bit slow, I spend all my time trying to flatten the top of my hijab. The peak kind of reminds me of a bonnet, or a wagon maybe.

daphy said...

is there any on-line shop i can get this thing? i really want to try it, but i can't find any hijab shop nearby :(

Anonymous said...

ooh, when these first came out i used to make them at home (trim the edges with perfection :-P) and sell them at school. 25 cents each (which would be about .12something p, i think. since the local hijab stores and stuff had them for like 5 dollars a peice. i still made a fair amount of money and donated it :-D

Hayah said...


I have no idea if any of the online stores sell them! You'll have to look around. Or you could try to make one out of cardboard?


What a clever idea! And the hijab stores were selling them for $5?? I bought mine for 50p.

musicalchef said...

Thank you! I'm in Jordan, so now that I know they exist I'll look for them. Most Jordanians wear an underscarf with the overscarf pulled around it flat, but that style looks horrible on me and makes my face look too round. Wow, I was beginning to think I was the only person going nuts over "droopy peak!"

Medic said...

I live in London... Any place you know of where I could get one?

Hayah said...

Fellow medic :) I get mine from one of the stalls in Shepherd's Bush Market. The one at the very beginning..

medic said...

Oooo JazakAllah! I've been trying to get a hold of one of those for ages, I'll check that out- Thanks!
And btw, luv the site :)

Mariem said...

WHat is easier to do is to slip the plastic band inside a tube bonnet. You just unsew a little bit enough to slip it in.

It doesn't do the exact same effect, but it does give a shape to the scarf, and you don't have to worry with a slippery scarf that got a slippery plastic band! ;-)

Definitly recommended for beginners!

Shahida said...

Salam sister,
I found the answer for those sisters who have been looking for it. You can go to this website to find out more. The company is from Singapore.

Anonymous said...

i live in new york, does anyone know where i can get these?

aniz said...

What I do to get a 'peak' is I use a starch spray when ironing the hijab, just at the place where you want the peak to be. If the fabric is too droopy, I spray it twice.

The starch is usually used for mens' shirts.

Love this website!

Anonymous said...

my friend wears the large square hijabs and uses a sewing plastic that you can buy at any craft store. she cuts it into strips and inserts it into her under scarves. thats what i am going to start doing as soon as i go buy some. i'll probably find it at Joan's or Michaels, maybe even Walmart.

Anonymous said... has them
they are called streamliners on her site


Related Posts with Thumbnails